To ensure that personnel who is authorized to be gas tester shall be equipped with the knowledge to conduct gas testing, gas monitoring for oxygen, inert, flammable gases, and toxic gases for the refinery.
To equip the delegate with knowledge to conduct gas testing within critical & standard confined spaces and hot work activities.
- To successfully complete this training, delegates must be able to demonstrate an understanding of:
- Confined space criteria
- The hazards of operations within an oxygen-deficient, toxic or flammable environment
- Carrying out a suitable and sufficient risk assessments
- Using safe systems of work
- The implications of organizational and statutory requirements Interpreting operational requirements Selecting and using PPE and RPE
- Working within the Permit to Work system
- The operating principles of atmosphere monitoring and measuring equipment Gas detector pre-start check
- Calibrating the instruments used in atmosphere testing
- How to set up the relevant detector for each gas testing application The behavior of different flammable and toxic gases
- The ranger and frequency of tests
- Acceptable levels of flammable and toxics gases Performing gas tests in sequence
- Obtaining a representative atmosphere sample Monitoring and retesting
- Where to site ongoing monitoring equipment
- Hot work and the production of flammable and toxic gases The principles of hot work gas testing
- The hazards and properties of flammable gases
- Using risk assessments and safe systems of work
- Detectors used for the flammable product
- How to set up the relevant detector and confirm its correct functioning
- How to correctly obtain a representative sample of the atmosphere being tested Locating sentinel styled equipment for optimum benefit
- Interpreting and documenting the results
Participants are required to pass an assessment of practical operation including testing the unit and a written examination of theory.
There are no pre-requisites to attend this course.
This course is conducted over 1 ½ days.
METHOD OF TRAINING
Classroom theory component and practical applications in a work environment.
Three years following the date that the delegate successfully completes the course